Monday, April 25, 2011

Sangri-la (Dim Sum 飲茶)

 I realize that I haven't done a dim-sum 飲茶 post yet, it is mainly because I normally go during lunch hours with my co-worker where we pre-order, sit down and eat = no time for the foodie in me to take pictures (>__<) Heard that the Shangri-la Banquet now offer dim-sum during daytime, so we decided to give it a try on a rainy Saturday.



We arrive at around 1:00pm on a Saturday and there wasn't a lineup at all (2/3 full) which was a surprise since most Chinese dim-sum place on the weekends are normally pack... hummm, will the food be good ?!?

Wedding decor =P


must-have for dim sum = tea + mustard & hot sauce



Shrimp Dumpling  蝦餃 (ha guaa)
This is a must for dim sum


 Sui Mai 燒賣
 2nd must have for dim sum
 It's a small steam pork and shrimp dumplings in a thin wheat flour wrapper



Steam Rice Noodle w/ Snow pea leaf and mushroom 豆苗三菇腸粉
Personally I prefer the veggie version but there's meat, shrimp, cha-siu and tofu etc to choose from.


Chicken Feet 鳳爪 (phoenix claw)
~ chicken feet deep fried, boiled, marinated in a black bean sauce and steam
This is my fave dim sum dish and I just have to order this every time  and the one here are cook and presented perfectly 
(not too salty, not too sweet, not overcook and not chop into pieces = fluffy moist and tender)


Steam Spare Ribs 蒸排骨
~ steam with fermented black bean and chili
This is easily made at home so I prefer not to order since they tend to use meat tenderizer and the one her have way more taro than ribs


Steam Meatball 蒸山竹牛肉球
~ meatball w/ preserved orange peel and bean-curd skin, normally served with Worcestershire sauce
I haven't tasted this since I don't like coriander.


Char Siu Bao 叉燒包
~ Cantonese BBQ pork filling
There's normally 2 type steam or baked and obviouly it's the steam version here




Stirfried Bitter Mellon w/ Salty Egg Yolk 金沙炒涼瓜
~ bitter melon dip into a salty egg yolk batter and then fried
This is more of a Lunch Special rather than a dim sum, but it wasn't that good since you can't really taste the salty egg yolk and the over dose of garlic doesn't help... most places that I have this dish, it's normally cover with batter and you could find a layer of the salty egg yolk between the batter and the melon


Pan fried rice noodle in XO sauce XO醬炒米粉
Not enough XO sauce = NO GOOD !!!


Scallop & Mango
Don't really remember what that's call but it's my fave of the day since have never had this in any other dim sum place in Toronto and it was a really great combination



Bird's Nest Egg Tart 燕窩蛋撻
Didn't like this at all, no egg flavor and no bird's nest flavor. Too fancy for me, I prefer the plain egg tart with bright yellow center


Jin deui 流沙煎堆
~ jin deui is a fried glutinous rice flour pastry coated with sesame normally emty or fill with red or black bean paste or lotus paste (I usually like the empty ones).... but here, it's filled with some sort salty egg custard which is so liquid-y and rush out when you bite into it when eaten warm
(just like 流沙 which mean moving sand)


Verdict:
Everything was good but not great and except the Scallop & Mango and Jin deui 流沙煎堆.
The choices are really limited here

2 comments:

  1. I haven't had dim sum for a LONG time (like YEARS) and I went two times the last few weeks! :) Wow you reminded me how I haven't had the baked BBQ pork buns in ages :( Same as the lotus paste buns..not as many places have them now >_< The scallop and mango does look very unique and tasty!

    ReplyDelete